Copywriter & Data Journalist – Melbourne
Datalabs is looking for a Data Journalist with experience in interpreting content and data into simple stories for use in our agency’s infographic reports, animated videos, reporting microsites and interactive data visualisations. We are looking for a writer that has experience and background with finance and/or accounting copy
About the Data Journalist/Copywriter role:
The role is the main copywriter who is responsible for converting dense multi-page reports and general client briefs into one-page written summaries. These summaries are then used by our data visualisers, infographic designs and animators to work from.
Datalabs can train the right candidate in our methods, educating them on the processes we used to transition written documents into visuals, icons, charts, and interfaces.
As our Data Journalist:
- A passion for creativity, visual design, and simplicity
- Experience in finance, banking or accounting, healthcare beneficial.
- Strong knowledge of the new forms of content — chief among them are infographics, animation, and data visualisation
- An ability to work directly with visual artists — we’re looking for a master communicator who can think visually
- Curiosity for learning new ways to describe the possible visualisation of data
- An avid reader, a creative word artist who can work within our creative workflow processes
- Act as a resource for implementation troubleshooting, etc.
- Act as a primary decision maker regarding all User Interface and Web designs
Your Qualifications for the Data Journalist position:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Commerce, Accounting, Finance or a related field; experience in content marketing or graphic design
- At least one year’s experience in a PR, communications, marketing or advertising agency
- Solid understanding of and experience with the Web and Web technologies
- Fluency in the English language
Please send a brief cover letter, examples of your writing and work, in addition to your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include links to any examples of your written work and any that has been visually designed, if it exists.